Yoga has been around for more than 5,000 years, but it has transformed into many things over the last decade.
So what is yoga?
To some it is exercise and stretching.
To others is quiet time, and relaxation.
And to others it looks like a contortion practice that they will never be able to achieve.
To me, it is a lifestyle. An opportunity to get quiet, move your body, and listen to something I believe many of us are lacking and craving in this overstimulated world. Yoga is something that any truck driver, making long hauls day after day, could benefit from.
For the average trucker, who couldn’t use a little time to stretch, relax and decompress?
Here are 60 Benefits of Yoga for Truckers (Reasons to Make Mother Trucker Yoga Part of Your Daily Life):
- Yoga improves flexibility
- Strengthens muscles, conditioning us from arthritis and back pain
- Aids in realigning the spine & help to distribute weight evenly
- Yoga moves all 300 joints
- Helps to keep your spinal disks supple giving them the nutrients they need.
- Yoga offers natural weight-bearing exercise, increasing bone density
- Gets your blood flowing, getting more oxygen to your cells and helps boost hemoglobin & red blood cells.
- Assist in increasing the drainage of lymph, helping to destroy & fight cancerous cells
- Yoga gets your heart rate up lowering the risk of heart disease
- Yoga gets you breathing
- Lowers blood pressure
- Yoga lowers cortisol levels, helping with long term memory, also fighting depression
- Turns up the heat to help to burn calories
- Gets you to become more conscious of your being: eating, social, presence
- Can lower blood sugar & LDL & boosts HDL (“good” cholesterol)
- Improves coordination, reaction time, memory and even IQ
- Helps you to relax, shifting from the sympathetic to the parasympathetic nervous system
- The practice can aid in increasing body awareness
- Yoga reduces chronic tension, muscle fatigue, soreness in the wrists, arms, shoulders, neck & face.
- Becomes a way to cope with the business of life
- Can improve immune function
- Helps to expand lung function and breathing capacity above the normal 18%
- Yoga and meditation help to build awareness
- Helps to reduce anger and replaces it with compassion
- Yoga helps to change self-image
- Helps you stand and sit a bit taller
- Can assist you in breaking free from dependencies in life and addictions
- Can help release emotional tensions
- Assists one break away from the ego
- Can naturally lubricates joint
- Yoga increases the recovery rate of the body
- Reduces the effects of aging
- Helps with increasing coordination
- Is an effective ways to cope with stress
- Improves endurance
- Teaches you nothing is impossible and everything is attainable at some level
- Can help to warm the extremities
- Increases heat that can then kill bacteria in the body
- Can normalizes and stimulates endocrine glands (thyroid) activity by compression & decompression of the neck)
- Increases the serotonin to the brain lifting your mood
- Teaches you how to build and attain goals
- The practice invites what is unconscious to the surface so it can be integrated into conscious awareness
- Helps cultivate self-love
- Works on all 700 muscles: strengthening, stretching, toning
- Can aid in regulating hormonal activity
- Assists your meditation practice
- Yoga can teach us how to act without judgment & help us to truly flourish in life
- Yoga helps reduces the risks of heart disease
- Can assist in stimulating the organs of elimination, promoting regular bowel movements
- The nervous system is toned an the lumbar nerve plexus is stimulated, promoting overall vitality of the kidneys and reproductive organs
- Can be a natural way to reduce and eliminate bloating, abdominal discomfort and fatigue
- Helps release shoulder tension
- Helps cultivate body awareness
- Promotes self-discipline, only you know if you are challenging yourself or not
- Refreshes blood flow to the brain refreshing our thinking process and mental attitudes
- Helps to regulate menstruation, reducing pain, discomfort & mood fluctuation
- Can help assist women through the transition into menopause naturally and easily
- The practice helps cultivate contentment
- Can be practiced anywhere
- Finally, yoga is about you a practice ultimately created by you, for you and to benefit you-a lifestyle approach
Let’s not forget the opportunity that yoga has to offer you.
While out on the road, movement can be limited and stress can be high. So it could be a natural solution to both. Time to decompress and breathe, all the while stretching and meeting some of the daily movement requirements of the body.
More than 80 percent of truckers who started on a yoga exercise plan reported reduced stress as a result of practicing yoga. Read more about the benefits of yoga and statistics related to the trucking industry here.
Mother Trucker Yoga isn’t fancy. And it’s no where near complicated. Mother Trucker Yoga is created with simple, easy moves that directly target a truckers biggest concerns while sneaking in some much needed stress relief, breathing and enhanced sleeping opportunities.
Because honestly, who out there doesn’t want to feel at least a little better than they currently do?
What if 3-5 minutes could make all the difference?
And when you do it regularly, imagine how you could feel then?
Don’t be shy about considering adding a little yoga into your life. Because Mother Trucker Yoga wants you to keep on trucking. And one of the best ways you can keep on trucking, is with a little (Mother Trucker) yoga in your life!